In this post we provide an overview of the most frequent cases of water leaks during the use of Rancilio Silvia. In the event of leaks, the first thing to do is to identify the position from which the liquid comes out of the machine. Based on the location of the loss, the problem can be understood.
RANCILIO SILVIA LEAKING FROM FILTER HOLDER
If the Rancilio Silvia leaks between the group head and the filter holder, there may be problems with the gasket. Generally:
- the gasket is not positioned correctly between the group head unit and the filter holder. In this case correct insertion is required.
- The gasket is worn and must be replaced.
Generally group head gaskets are consumed from 6 months to one year depending on how heavily the machine is used. Premature wear of this gasket can be caused by the use of excessive force when connecting the filter holder or leaving the machine on for long periods of time without use.
RANCILIO SILVIA LEAKING FROM THE TOP
A leak from the top of the Rancilio Silvia generally indicates a loose connection or the breakage of a component inside the machine. In such cases it is advisable to turn off the Rancilio Silvia and disconnect it to open the upper part and check for loose hoses or broken pipes.
- In the case of loose tubes or hoses it is necessary to reconnect them to the appropriate fitting using
- In case of damaged components, for example the boiler, it is necessary to replace it.
RANCILIO SILVIA LEAKING FROM BELOW
- Check the water tank and the drip tray to make sure there are no cracks or breaks where the water can leak out. Make sure they are correctly positioned on the machine.
- Make sure the return line is positioned inside the water tank. If the hose is on the outside of the tank, or pushed upwards in the machine, it will cause a leak.
RANCILIO SILVIA LEAKING FROM THE STEAM WAND
If the wand is leaking from the lower end of the tube it means that the steam valve is not completely closed. In this case it is necessary to tighten the knob. If the knob appears to be spinning, the knob may be broken. Try removing the knob and manually turning the steam valve with an adjustable wrench or a pair of pliers
If the leak persists it is necessary to descale the Rancilio Silvia following the instructions in order to remove the scale inside the valve. After the Rancilio Silvia has been descaled, load 4-6 water tanks to make it come out through the wand using the hot water function. This ensures that all debris or scale in the valve is completely removed.
If the leak persists, the steam valve must be replaced.